Tuesday, May 18, 2010

activity 6 Danielle Nicolosi

1. I never really realized that there were no evening clinics or day cares in my neighborhood until Hayden brought it to my attention, "A 'good' neighborhood is usually defined in terms of conventional shopping, schools, and perhaps public transit, rather than additional social services for the working parent such as day care or evening clinics." I live in Pleasant Plains in Staten Island and my neighborhood is considered a 'good' one.  It has boutiques, deli's, grocery stores, liquor stores, florists, dry cleaning, fast food, restaurants, buses and trains.  The lack of resources useful to the working parent is unacceptable.  There are 2  pre-schools a couple of blocks away from my house in both directions, however, this isn't enough.  Your child must be potty-trained, and it is expensive, therefore we need more options.


2.Walking through my neighborhood there's a barbershop directly next to a hair salon.  Passing up the hair salon you get the 'hello,' 'I like your outfit,' smiling, comfortable, vibe.  As you approach the barbershop, you get the guys who are yelling, laughing, than slowly get quiet as you walk by because they're checking you out (uncomfortable for a girl).  For me I feel awkward where I work.  I work in a bagel store, in which I'm the only girl. Its very awkward for me behind the counter cause i feel they always pick on me, and to hear them speak about all the woman that come in, also uncomfortable.  I wouldn't say the bagel store is gendered to be male, but definitely behind the counter is.  the nail salons in my neighborhood are female gendered.  Whenever I'm getting my manicure and pedicure and i see the once-in-a-while guy come in asking to get his eyebrows done, you could see the uncomfortable feeling written all over his face.  This is something i think about all the time, actually: either how uncomfortable i feel under gendered circumstances, or how i could tell other people feel, so it was interesting for me to actually walk around my neighborhood paying on attention to just that.


3. When i think of a gay space or place in the city i think of The Village.  Whenever I'm there i see gay couples openly holding hands and being affectionate towards one another.  Gay people are everywhere they just feel comfortable being themselves in the Village.  Its where they gather and where they're accepted.  There are also a lot more places that accommodate to them, for example gay bars.


4. When i googled gay map of new york 2 things came up: http://www.manchester2002-uk.com/maps/gay-village-map.jpg and http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_IqeDgxYz0-M/S1JFVcdVczI/AAAAAAAABNU/szBvmBFBPSQ/s400/Next_Map.jpg

a map of the village and a map of where gay bars are around new york.



5.There's a park in my neighborhood called Bloomingdale Park.  As I walked around, I noticed cute teenage couples sitting on a park bench, every so often being 'kissy' or maybe a little too ''touchy-feely.''  That's actions to be made in the privacy of your home not in the middle of a park where everyone could see you.  Since they were young and still living with their parents they probably did this in public because they don't want to get caught at home (I've been there) so i understand, however being older looking at it now they should really be in a more private space. It's funny how in urban life they don't care if others could see them, they just do as if they are in their own private space.

No comments:

Post a Comment